There's no more grueling type of fast or cleansing diet than a pure water fast. On this fast, you can only have water. According to many alternative health experts, the health benefits can be extraordinary. Fasting allows the body time to heal from all of the toxins and pollutants in our food and environment. It also costs nothing to do. Follow these steps to learn more.
- After your fast, drink grapefruit juice. An hour or two after the grapefruit juice is consumed, the digestive system should be reawakened, though "groggy". Feel free to slowly eat an apple. That should suffice. Do this at the end of the day and sleep. Then you can graduate to yogurt and whole grains, then eventually meat products. One day of recovery is recommended for every five days of fasting.
- Depending on how big you are to begin with will depend on how long your fast will take to work and lose weight.
- Eat foods high in vitamins and mineral the day before your fast.
- The most important rule of a fast is to always be under a doctor's watchful eye, especially if you are doing a 5-30 day water fast. The best idea is to consult your doctor and ask which fast is right for you. Water fasts should not be taken lightly.
- If you are looking for a more healthy alternative, try a juice fast.
- This can be a means of weight loss, but if you go back to eating junk food, instead of eating healthy foods you will regain weight and reload your body with many toxins you worked so hard to rid yourself of.
- Don't fast if you are on the brink of anorexia or you find yourself disliking food.
- some conditions are contraindicated for fasting including late stages of liver or kidney disease; insulin dependent diabetics; advance stage alcoholics; hyperthyroidism and advanced thyroid malfunctions, those with irreversible wasting diseases like AIDS (advanced stage), tuberculosis, infectious diseases like advanced SARS and H5N1 Avian influenza or other lethal bird flus; extensive carcinomas and metastatic cancers (when fasting would contribute to their malnourished state); atrial fibrillation; cardiovascular diseases, vascular diseases with poor circulation to various parts of the body, cerebral degeneration due to arteriosclerosis (organic brain syndrome) or Alzheimer's disease; serious cardiac diseases including heart failure, severe cardiac rhythm disturbances, post-myocardial infarction, and severe cardiomyopathy and valvular heart defects.
- Always consult a physician before attempting any sort of a fast or cleansing diet, especially a water fast. Many medical conditions such as diabetes and hypoglycemia can be aggravated by fasting. Stop your fast and seek medical treatment immediately if severe gastrointestinal distress or episodes of fainting or disorientation occur.